Is your college, institute or workplace stopping you from opening some sites. Do you need any third party tool every time to visit these blocked sites? May be these tools are costly to you. So, what to do to make your own web proxy server? In this article, I have explained a way to create your own proxy server using Google app engine and enjoy the free browsing:
Make Your Own Web Proxy Server
In order to start with this guide, you will need a Google account initially. I hope, everyone owns one. So, let’s begin with this easy guide, which will help you in setting up your own web proxy server to surf the web:
- Go to Google App Engine with your Google account signed in.
- There is a button named as “Create Application”. Click on it. (NOTE: If you are creating first time any app using your Google account, Google will send you a verification code to your mobile and you will need to verify it.)
- In Application Identifier field, fill a proxy server name of your choice and check availability. Select one,which is available. It will be your app-id.
- Give any title to this application.
- In advanced authentication option, keep default settings and click on “Create Application” button.
- After creating the basic layout for web proxy server, we have to set up it, and will need to upload proxy server application (files) to Google App Engine. Start with downloading latest Python and installing it.
- Now, you will need Google APP Engine SDK for Python. Download it from Google code.
- Install the downloaded SDK and Run Launcher after the completion of installation.
- In Google App Engine Launcher (recently launched), you will find Edit button in Menu bar. Click on that and go to preferences.
- Now browse the required fields in your system. You can take help of the screenshot below.
- Now, you will need to add the application to the launcher. For this purpose, you have to create your own proxy application. It can be done by the tool Mirrorr.
- Extract the zipped file Mirrorr to a folder.
- Now, in Google App Engine Launcher, click on File>>Add Existing Application.
- In Application Path field, browse the folder, where Mirrorr is extracted.
- Click on ‘Add’ button.
- Now, you can see your app in App Engine Launcher. Select it and click on Edit section (In the Header). In first row of the editor, replace yourappid with your APP ID, you created in step 3. Save and exit the file.
- Just click on Deploy, and fill the credentials of the Google account, you used for creating this proxy server.
- In a few moments, your web proxy server will be working and you can see it on Your_APP_ID.appspot.com. Check mine on TBC Proxy Server.
So, following these few steps, you can create your own proxy server, or you can use our proxy server also for browsing.
- You can edit the main.html file in Mirrorr folder and give your application a beautiful look. After editing the file, you will need to deploy your application again using Google App Engine Launcher. Once deployed, you can exit App Engine Launcher.
Over to You
Have you created you own web proxy server? Are you causing any problems or did it successfully. How did you like this idea? Tell us your views using comment box and discuss more about it with me